Writing is one way I slow it all down.
- “How to Birth a Child That’s Not Yours” — imagining the two mothers of one child. Excerpt, memoir-in-progress. HipMama. 16 December 2020.
- “How to Survive a Pregnancy Loss“ — the aftermath of loss. VoiceCatcher. Fall 2019 Issue.
- “How to Lose a Pregnancy“ — a chronicle of two losses. The Manifest-Station. 6 May 2018.
- “Joining the Army: An 18 Year Old and His Mom” — decisions, especially the big ones, are up to my son now. Grown and Flown. December 2015.
- “Bringing Him Home“— our adoption story begins. Brain, Mother. October 2014; Mothering.com. November 2014 repost. Adoptive Families Magazine. February 2016 reprint.
- “Still Pregnant“ — navigating a high-risk pregnancy. Brain, Mother. July 2014; Mothering.com. August 2014 repost.
- “The Boob Tube“ — if only it were as easy as flipping a switch. Brain, Child Magazine. Summer 2014. Nominated for Pushcart Prize. Editors’ Pick for 2014. Featured in Brain, Child Writers on the Joys and Challenges of Breastfeeding, for which I wrote the introduction.
- “Out of the Mouths of Babes” — our 11 year-old finds out I’m pregnant. Brain, Child. April 2013.
- “The Importance of Keeping Ernest” — what could possibly go wrong when you bring home the preschool class pet? Brain, Child Magazine. Spring 2013. Huffington Post. May 2013 reprint.